Team Dakota has fiddled around with Project Spark's mildly controversial, somewhat confusing microtransaction system in response to beta player misgivings.
Under the old system, players could buy extra "Spark Time" on top of a default daily allowance in order to (a) accelerate XP and credit earning and (b) sample tools, items and the like that they haven't paid for. From this point on, players will have complete, unlimited access to all Project Spark content, though you can still buy Tokens with real money to spend on items you can't be bothered to unlock the old-fashioned way.
Team Dakota has also revised the related concept of "Spark Power", now known as Spark Premium. This grants XP/credit earning bonuses, as before, but now includes access to extra upload slots on top of the three you're given by default.
Basically, if you want to share more than three creations at once, you'll have to cough up. Read the below breakdown (via idigitaltimes) for more.
- We are removing Spark Time
- Players will be able to play anything created in Project Spark, without any time limitation or DLC ownership requirement.
- Spark Power is being renamed to Spark Premium, and the cost will be reduced.
- Spark Premium bonus will remain at 200% of credits earned and 200% of XP earned.
- We are changing the number of upload slots to accommodate both casual and highly engaged creators
(1) Users who download and play Project Spark as of today (3/18/2014) will have a default three (3) upload slots after creating their free Project Spark account
(2) All accounts activated via beta key during our closed beta program (played the game prior to 12:01am Pacific on 3/18) will continue to have 5 free slots.
- Additional Upload Slots can be unlocked by purchasing Spark Premium
(1) Two permanent additional upload slots with purchase of 3 months of Spark Premium.
(2) Five permanent additional upload slots with purchase of 6 months of Spark Premium.
(3) Twelve permanent additional upload slots with purchase of 12 months of Spark Premium.
- Anyone who acquired a month of Spark Power within the last 30 days will:
(1) Receive 24,000 credits. (the previous cost of a month of Spark Power)
(2) Continue to receive the XP and Credit bonus
Project Spark is now in open beta on Xbox One - you can find it on the store, right this very moment. OXM regular Chris Schilling has put together a touching, thoughtful guide for new players.